|Sign up now|
Stir-fried tomatoes and eggs
Fuchsia Dunlop "Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking"
|Prep time||5 minutes|
This was my standard fare for lunch when I lived in China, it is still one of my favourite things to do with eggs and tomatoes. Quick, simple and cheap!
|2||ripe tomatoes (similar in volume to the eggs)|
1. Cut each tomato in half, then into sections the size of tangerine segments.
2. Beat the eggs evenly together with a little salt.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a wok or frying pan over a high flame. Add the eggs and swirl them around. Use a spoon or a ladle to nudge the edges of the egg towards the centre so the uncooked egg can run out. As soon as the egg has set, remove it to a plate.
4. Return the pan to the high flame and put in 1 tablespoon of oil if you need it. Tip in the tomatoes and stir-fry until they are hot and smell cooked, adding the sugar and salt to taste.
5. Return the eggs to the pan and mix everything together.
I often add a few chopped spring onions at the end and serve on top of a bowl of rice.