Carrot and Chickpea Salad With Fried Almonds
When you want your vegetables to be more than just a side dish. This Middle Eastern-style salad is adapted from Chef Charles Kelsey of Cutty's in Brookline, Massachusettes, USA (originally published in Food and Wine, May 2010). Carrots and chickpeas are tossed in a lemon vinaigrette flavored with cilantro, smoked paprika, and cumin—an unusual but delicious combination. For a sweeter variation, try adding currants, honey, and cinnamon.
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 0.5 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 0.25 cup fresh lemon juice from 2 lemons
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cup fresh corriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 0.25 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 0.5 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and coarsely shredded
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the almonds and cook, stirring, until golden, a few minutes. Drain the almonds on paper towels and let cool.
- In a food processor, combine the lemon juice, garlic, 1 and 3/4 cups of the cilantro, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and half of the almonds. Pulse until chopped. Add the olive oil and process to a chunky paste. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with the carrots and chickpeas. Season to taste with more salt and pepper as desired. Chop the remaining cilantro and sprinkle over salad, along with the remaining almonds