Cress and Potato Salad
This recipe from Tom O'Connell is a family favourite of the O'Connell's from Cullahill, Co. Laois
- 1 kg floury organic potatoes (Carolus is a good variety)
- 100g land cress or watercress, carefully washed with any tough stalks removed
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons flat parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons spring onions, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch white pepper powder
- 175 ml homemade mayonnaise
- 75 ml organic plain low-fat yoghurt
- Juice of half a lemon, or to taste
- If possible, combine the mayonnaise, yoghurt, herbs and spring onions the evening before serving. Season and add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to add a little bit of acidity for extra flavour – leave to ‘marry’ overnight in the fridge.
- The day you plan to serve the dish, peel the potatoes, chop to the desired size and steam in a proper steamer until cooked through – al dente potato salad is not a happy situation.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, combine with the dressing and check for seasoning
- Place the salad in a large bowl, top with cress, mix and serve.