Cumin Beetroot with Onions
Carmine-coloured and speckled with cumin seeds a side dish which makes a vibrant addition to any curry.
- 350g raw beetroot
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and very finely chopped
- 100g onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 0 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 225g tomatoes, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300 ml water
- Peel the beetroot and cut them into wedges. A medium-sized beetroot, about 5cm in length, should, for example, be cut into 6 wedges.
- Put the oil in a medium-sized pan and set over a medium heat. When hot, put in the cumin seeds. Let them sizzle for 5 seconds and put in the garlic. Stir and fry until the garlic pieces turn golden.
- Put in the onions. Stir and fry for 2 minutes. Put in the flour and cayenne. Stir and fry for a minute. Now put in the beetroot, the tomatoes, salt and water. Bring to a simmer. Cover, turn the heat to low for 30 minutes or until the beetroot are tender.
- Remove lid, turn up heat to medium, and cook uncovered for about 7 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. This dish may be made ahead of time and reheated.