Golden Beetroot, Parsnip and Carrot Tempura
All these roots make fantastic tempura and although they are fried, if you get your oil to 170 degrees Celsius and place on kitchen towels to absorb any excess oil, they aren’t too bad for you.
- 300g parsnips
- 300g golden beetroot
- 300g carrots
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- ice cold sparkling water
- 100g chick pea flour
- salt to taste
- sweet chilli sauce
- The trick is to cut your roots with as wide a surface area as possible and no thicker than a pound coin. For parsnips and carrots, cut on the diagonal and for beetroot cut into circles.
- To make the batter take the chickpea flour and mix in two teaspoons of garam massala spice blend and a pinch of salt.
- To the flour, whisk in ice cold sparkling water until a light batter is formed.
- Coat each piece of root vegetable in batter and fry in small batches until golden brown.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce.