Spicy Bean Tortillas with Onion and Radish Relish
Tex-Mex goes healthy with these corn tortillas topped with chipotle kidney beans, pickled red onions, coriander and lime.
- 2 red onions, 1 thinly sliced, 1 finely chopped
- 2 limes, 1 juiced, 1 cut into wedges
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon chile powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 can of red kidney beans, drained
- 4 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 bunch of radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of corriander, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Toss the finely sliced onion in the lime juice, add some seasoning and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan add the chopped onion and garlic and fry gently till soft, add the cumin and chile powder, stir and cook for 1 min. Add the kidney beans, tomato puree, salt to taste and about 100ml of water. Mix and simmer for 5-10 mins till the liquid has been absorbed. Check seasoning and roughly mash.
- Warm the tortillas per instructions. Mix the radishes and coriander into the pickled onion. Spread each tortilla with the bean mix and top with the onion and radish pickle. Serve with lime wedges and a green salad.