Spicy Broad Beans
These spicy broad beans are great served with couscous. It is best to parboil the beans and remove the skins so the spices can get permeate through and the skins won't get tough.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g broad beans, shelled
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon parsley or corriander, chopped, to garnish
- preserved lemon (optional) sliced to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic and toss for a few seconds until it becomes fragrant. Add the broad beans and spices and stir so they are well coated.
- Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover and simmer till the beans are just done. Add salt to taste and the lemon juice, the raise the heat slightly and cook the mixture uncovered, till all the liquid has evaporated and the spices cling to the beans
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with parsley, corriander and the preserved lemon slices.