Stuffed Aubergines with Spinach and Mushroom
A hearty, slow-roasted dish that looks as stunning as it tastes
- 2 aubergineS
- 225g mushrooms
- 350g spinach
- 50g hard italian cheese
- 6 tbsp fromage frais
- 3 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 lemon, zested
- 25g pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the aubergine halves and cook for 4-5 mins. Drain well and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Place the aubergines on a baking tray, brush with 1 tbsp of the olive oil and cook for 2¼ mins until tender and golden. Scoop out the flesh (leaving about 15mm of flesh attached to the skin), then roughly chop.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large frying pan, then cook the onion and garlic for 4-5 mins until the onion has softened. Add the aubergine flesh to the pan and fry for a few mins, add the mushrooms, then cook for about 5 mins until browned and tender. Add the spinach and cook for 3-4 mins until wilted, stirring frequently.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese, fromage frais and seasoning to taste.
- In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, pine nuts, parsley and seasoning.
- Spoon the spinach mixture into the aubergine halves and sprinkle the top of each with the breadcrumb mixture. Return to the oven and cook for 10-15 mins until the topping is golden.