A quick Indian veggie dish.
- 225g potatoes, cubed
- 1 cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped, or 2tbsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2cm piece of ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (more if you like it spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 fresh green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- lemon juice to serve
- Immerse the cut potatoes in a bowl of water until they are ready to be used. Soaking them will also help them cook faster.
- Heat oil in a large pan, add the whole cumin seeds and cook for 3 seconds. Add the ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the onions and cook until translucent
- Add the potatoes and green chili. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then cover and cook on low to medium heat until the potatoes are half done.
- Add the cauliflower and stir the mixture all together.
- Add chili powder, turmeric, cumin powder, garam masala, coriander powder and stir well. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water if the mixture looks dry
- Cook, covered, stirring every few minutes, until the potatoes and cauliflower are almost fork tender. Add salt to taste and continue to cook until the potatoes are soft
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about 5 more minutes
- Take off the heat and sprinkle with coriander leaves. Add lemon juice to taste if you like. Great served with rice or roti.