Angela Hartnett's Red Cabbage and Apple Salad Recipe
Angela Hartnett is considered something of a ‘national treasure’, thanks both to her exceptional talent and delightful personality. She first came onto the scene when she took over The Connaught Hotel’s kitchen in the early noughties at a time when it was ‘a bastion of male lineage chef-dom’. She has since become one of the UK’s most successful restauranteurs, heading up the likes of Michelin-starred Murano and Merchant’s Tavern.
- 750g red cabbage, core discarded and finely shredded
- 1 red onion
- 2 tablespoon red vinegar
- splash balsamic vinegar
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 red eating apples, halved, cored and finely sliced
- 25g parsley, finely chopped and leaves roughly chopped
- 50g walnut halves, roughly chopped
- Put the red cabbage and onion in a large bowl. Season generously with salt and toss with the red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and mustard. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to marinate for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Just before you’re ready to serve, toss through the finely sliced apple, parsley stalks and leaves, and walnuts.