Charred aubergine gives this vegan chilli a delicious, smoky depth, making it a great family midweek meat alternative. Add other veggies from the summer bounty, such as courgettes, if you like too.
- 3 aubergines, cubed
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tins kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- a small bunch of coriander
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- yogurt, to serve
- steamed rice, to serve
- Tip the aubergines into a large bowl with 2 tbsp of the oil and a good pinch of salt, and mix well. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the aubergines for 4-5 minutes, in batches, until browned and charred, then scoop out onto a plate.
- Tip in the remaining oil, the onion and a pinch of salt, and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook for a minute before adding the peppers, dried spices and chipotle paste. Stir for 2-3 minutes, then tip in the chopped tomatoes with a full tin of water. Tip in the beans and the aubergines, season well and simmer gently for 40 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in the coriander and serve with lime wedges, coconut yogurt and steamed rice.