Charred aubergine gives this vegan chilli a delicious, smoky depth, making it a great family midweek meat alternative
- aubergines 3, cubed
- vegetable oil 4 tbsp
- onion 1, finely chopped
- garlic 4, finely chopped
- red peppers 2, chopped
- ground cumin 2 tsp
- ground coriander 2 tsp
- smoked paprika 2 tsp
- chipotle paste 1 tbsp
- chopped tomatoes 2 x 400g tins
- kidney beans 2 x 400g tins, rinsed and drained
- coriander a small bunch
- lime 1, cut into wedges
- vegan coconut yogurt to serve
- steamed rice to serve
- Tip the aubergines into a large bowl with 2 tbsp of the oil and a good pinch of salt, and mix well. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the aubergines for 4-5 minutes, in batches, until browned and charred, then scoop out onto a plate.
- Tip in the remaining oil, the onion and a pinch of salt, and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook for a minute before adding the peppers, dried spices and chipotle paste. Stir for 2-3 minutes, then tip in the chopped tomatoes with a full tin of water. Tip in the beans and the aubergines, season well and simmer gently for 40 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in the coriander and serve with lime wedges, coconut yogurt and steamed rice.