Bean and Chard Soup
A hearty, quick soup for a filling veggie lunch.
- 1 bunch chard, or any other hearty greens you have such as kale, cabbage, etc
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 rosemary sprigs, pick leaves off
- 60ml olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 400g canned cannellini beans, drained
- 75g macaroni
- parmesan cheese
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Remove the stems from the chard leaves. Chop the leaves and put them aside. Chop the stems and put them aside separately.
- Finely chop together the capers and rosemary leaves.
- In a heavy bottomed, large saucepan, stir together the oil and garlic over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is pale gold, about 5 minutes. After 3 minutes of cooking, add the chard stems. Once they are cooked, stir in the capers and rosemary. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the chard leaves and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring to thoroughly coat it with the oil. Stir in the beans. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and stir in the macaroni. Boil for 10 minutes, or until the pasta is tender. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve with grated parmesan on top.