This super easy winter soup is a must try,
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 700g potatoes
- 300g leafy greens such as kale, cabbage, cavolo nero
- chorizo, optional
- olive oil
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic, dice the potatoes, finely shred the kale or cavolo nero, and slice the chorizo.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan over medium heat and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, or till they begin to soften.
- Stir in the potatoes, season with sea salt, and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add 1.25 litres water and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Mash the potatoes into the liquid to produce a smooth purée. Add the kale and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the chorizo slices, sprinkling paprika over them in the pan, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the chorizo to the soup, then ladle the soup into bowls and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Delicious served with a swirl of oil in each bowl and slices of corn bread.
Roll up the kale leaves tightly like a cigar (cut out the thick stems first) before cutting into wafer-thin strips as they do in Portugal. You can buy corn bread at Portuguese stores, such as London’s Lisboa Delicatessen, or substitute with decent ciabatta