Carmelised Onions and Wilted Winter Greens
This dish cooks fast and can use up any dark, leafy greens you have on had. Pair it with fish for an effortless, quick dinner.
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- a pinch of sugar
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and black pepper, to season
- 180g mixed greens, such as spinach, chard, kale, beet greens, radish or turnip tops, etc.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a small saucepan over low heat and add the onions and garlic. Stir to coat in the oil and cook for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are caramelised.
- Add the soy sauce, sugar and lemon juice and stir to combine. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add the greens and season further with salt and pepper, toss until the greens are wilted and then transfer them to a plate.
- Spoon the onion mixture into the greens and serve