Cherry Chard Wild Rice
Make cherries the star in a savoury dish
- 150 g mixed wild rice
- 200 g mixed-colour chard
- 60 g cherries, pitted
- 20 g shelled, unsalted walnut halves
- 40 g feta cheese
- Cook the rice in a pan of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions.
- Trim the chard stalks, cut them off and pop just the stalks into a colander, cover and steam above the rice for 3 minutes.
- Add the leaves and steam for another 2 minutes, then remove.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the cherries and, in a large bowl, mix with 1 tablespoon each of red wine vinegar and rice cooking water, then 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Finely slice the walnuts, then the chard stalks, shred the leaves.
- Drain the rice well, add to the cherry dressing bowl with all the chard and crumble in the feta.
- Toss well, then taste and season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper. Dish up, and sprinkle over the walnuts.