Cherry Chocolate Mousse
Sweet, dark and creamy
- 200 g good quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa or higher)
- 400 g pitted cherries
- 100 ml simple syrup
- 200 ml double cream
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 2 tablespoons golden caster sugar
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, then remove to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, simmer the cherries and the simple syrup in a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat until thick, then remove.
- Whip the cream to very soft peaks.
- Separate the eggs, add the yolks to the cream with the sugar, and whisk to combine.
- Add a pinch of sea salt to the whites and, with a clean whisk, beat until super-stiff.
- Fold the cooled chocolate into the cream, then very gently fold that through the egg whites with a spatula.
- Divvy up the mousse between six glasses or bowls, interspersing the cherries and syrup throughout, and finishing with a few nice cherries on top.