Dadi Rafia's Curried Swede
This recipe won 3rd prize in Local Greens' Redeem the Swede competition.
- 2 onions chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, about 250 grams
- 1 swede, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 green chili, seeded and chopped
- 2 red chilis seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped, for garnish
Saute the onions in a large pot with oil until soft. Add the finely chopped garlic and ginger and saute for another 5 mins. Throw in all the other ingredients and cook on medium heat for 10 mins. Keep adding water as needed until the swede is tender and cooked through. Garnish with cilantro to serve .