Daikon and Carrot Pickle
Goes well with sushi and Vietnamese dishes
- 1 large carrot, cut into thick matchsticks
- 450g daikon radishes, cut into thick matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100g sugar
- 300 ml white vinegar
- Place carrot and daikon in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Knead vegetables for about 3 minutes, expelling water from them (this will keep them crisp). Stop kneading when vegetables have lost about 1/4 of their volume. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water, then press gently to expel extra water. Return vegetables to bowl.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, vinegar and 1 cup lukewarm water, and stir to dissolve sugar. Pour over vegetables. Let marinate at least 1 hour before eating.
- Spoon into 2 x 450g jars and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks. Remove vegetables from liquid before using in a banh mi sandwich