Low fat and low calorie, this fennel spaghetti is a healthy vegetarian meal for two. Make it as an easy midweek meal and garnish with parsley and parmesan
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 small garlic cloves: 1 crushed, 1 thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 fennel bulb, finely sliced, fronds reserved
- 150g spaghetti
- ½ pack flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- shaved parmesan, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the fennel seeds until they pop. Sizzle the garlic for 1 min, then add the lemon zest and half the fennel slices. Cook for 10-12 mins or until the fennel has softened.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for 1 min less than pack instructions. Use tongs to transfer the pasta to the frying pan along with a good splash of pasta water. Increase the heat to high and toss well. Stir through the remaining fennel slices, the parsley and lemon juice, season generously, then tip straight into two bowls to serve. Top with the fennel fronds, extra olive oil and parmesan shavings, if you like.