Gem Lettuce with Warm Garlic Dressing
From famed chef José Andrés, this simple salad is inspired by the tapas bars and asadores (grill-focused restaurants) in and around Córdoba, Spain. It highlights sweet and tender Little Gem lettuce, adorned with warm, garlicky olive oil, sherry vinegar, anchovies and a sprinkle of smoky paprika.
- Heads of Gem lettuce, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 oil-packed anchovies, finely chopped
- Flaky sea salt and smoked paprika, for garnish
- Fill a large bowl with cold water. Holding the lettuce halves by the roots, submerge them in the water and shake gently to release the grit. Shake out the excess water, then pat the leaves dry with paper towels. Divide the lettuce halves among serving plates.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil and the garlic over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is light brown, about 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and spoon the oil over the lettuce. Drizzle with the sherry vinegar. Garnish with the anchovies, sea salt and a sprinkle of smoked paprika and serve.