Grated Swede with Parmesan
Mellow the swede of rutabaga by simmering with white wine, broth, sauteed shallots, and fresh thyme. Finish with Parmesan for a welcome hit of umami.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 20 ml cup dry white wine
- 1 swede, peeled and coarsely grated (about 500 g)
- 60 ml low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium. Add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add swede, stock, and thyme and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, until swede is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.