Full of flavour this ketchup sauce will be great on home-cooked burgers! Store in an airtight container in the fridge and you can even freeze it.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 500g tomatoes (over ripe are best)
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a frying pan heat the oil and cook the chopped onion and chopped red pepper for about 20 minutes until soft.
- Add the tomato puree and the sugar and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the chopped ripe tomatoes with the can of chopped tomatoes and 300ml water. Allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes, then season well and add the balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.
- Allow to cool slightly then put into a blender and process until smooth. If you want a really smooth finish push through a sieve. Allow to cool. It will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.