Italian Sauteed Chicory Greens
Enjoy bitter greens the way Italians do!
- 1 large bunch chicory. You can also use endive, escarole, radicchio, dandelion leaves. Any bitter leaf will work
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 anchovy fillets in oil
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp brined capers (if you use the salt-cured variety make sure to rinse them well)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Wash the chicory greens, cut into 2-inch pieces and cook in boiling unsalted water for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. NOTE: If you are using endive, escarole, radicchio or dandelion leaves, cut into 2-inch pieces and add to boiling water for about 30 seconds or skip the boiling process altogether and just add raw greens to the frying pan.
- Drain the chicory and rinse under cold water. Then, squeeze out the excess moisture using your hands.
- In a large frying pan, add oil, garlic, hot pepper flakes and anchovy fillets. Stir for 30 seconds on medium heat until the anchovies dissolve and the garlic is starting to sizzle and turn slightly gold.
- Add greens, raisins, pine nuts and capers. Toss gently for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add salt, to taste. As capers and anchovies are already salty you shouldn’t need much.
- Serve hot or room temperature.