Jean's Homemade Mince Pies
These really are delicious, the vegan shortening needs chilling before rolling but this gives it a nice flaky and crisp case. The mincemeat can be left for a couple months, but then the alcohol will become tart. Don't be put off by all the ingredients, it's still a simple 3 step recipe!
- 75g candied peel
- 250g apples, peeled and grated
- 125g sultanas
- 125g currants
- 125g raisins
- 125g vegetable suet
- 1 orange, grated peel and juice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 125g brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon brandy
- 2 tablespoon orange liquer
- 375g plain flour
- 185g vegetable shortening
- pinch of salt
- water to bind
- Combine all the mincemeat ingredients (everything BUT the flour, shortening, salt and water), mix and put in air tight jars
- Make the pastry; rub veg shortening into the flour and add enough water to bind. Chill for 1 hour before using.
- Roll out the dough. Make 12 deep mince pies, using a large circular cutter for the bottom. Jean uses a star cutter for her lid.
- Place dough into a deep muffin tin and fill with the mincemeat mixture. Top with your pastry lid. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.