Kohlrabi and Spinach Gratin
A tasty side dish
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 500g kohlrabi, peeled and diced
- 250g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 200ml double cream
- 200ml stock chicken, vegetable or water
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Place a medium-sized frying pan over a medium heat, add the oil.
- Add the sliced onion and a pinch of salt, and sauté for 12 minutes, until soft and starting to take on a little colour.
- Throw in the kohlrabi, potatoes and thyme, and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing the mixture occasionally, for another five minutes.
- Pour over the cream and stock, simmer gently until the liquid is reduced by half, stir in the spinach and parsley.
- Place in a lightly buttered gratin dish, levelling it out with a spatula as you go. Place the gratin dish on a baking tray.
- Blitz together the breadcrumbs, butter and cheese in a blender, and sprinkle over the top of the filling.
- Bake the gratin in a hot oven for about 35-40 minutes, until all golden and bubbling.