Lanttulaatikko - Finnish Swede Casserole
A traditional Finnish dish that's great served with ham, fish, and / or greens (such as spring greens, spinach, kale and sprouts).
- 1 swede, 400 to 500g
- 150ml cream creme fraiche, double or single
- 1 egg
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon soft butter
- Peel the swede and cut into 2cm wide chunks. Just cover in salted water and boil until completely tender (15 to 20 mins). Drain.
- Puree the swede well and push through a sieve to remove any tough bits.
- Combine the cream, butter, honey, nutmeg and egg. Add to the swede and mix well. Season to taste (be generous).
- Put the swede mixture to a small casserole dish, level off with a fork, sprinkle on the breadcrumbs and dot with butter.
- Bake in a 180C pre-heated oven for 40 minutes until golden and crisp on top.