Maria’s Beetroot Chutney
Maria’s beetroot chutney
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pickeling spice mix, secured in a muslin bag or strainer (see note)
- 1 kg beetroot, cooked and chopped into cubes
- 350g apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 350g onions, finely chopped
- 300g granulated sugar (see note)
- 300ml white vinegar or white wine or cider vinegar
- Put the chopped onion, vinegar and spice bag mix into a pan and heat until simmering.
- Add the beetroot, apple, sugar and salt and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and gently simmer with the lid on until the chutney starts to thicken.
- Remove the lid and allow the liquid to reduce.
- Remove the spice bag.
- Spoon the chutney into hot sterilised jars and put the lid on immediately. If you want to seal the jars properly put into hot water and boil for 10 minutes; if not ,store in a cool dark place. Refrigerate after opening.
Make up your own spice mix using a piece of muslin containing coriander seeds, mustard seeds, star anise, etc. depending on your taste and the flavours you want to highlight.
Adjust the sugar in the recipe if the beetroot or apples are quite sweet.