Kale is a hearty winter green that holds up well in soups and stews, but if you give it a three-minute massage, it also makes a fantastic salad.
- 1 bunch kale (any variety you like), ribs removed and discarded
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp freshly squeeze lemon juice, from 1/2 lemon
- 30 g fresh grated Parmesan cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Slice the kale into 1/4-inch thin ribbons.
- In a large bowl combine the kale with oil and salt.
- Using your hands, massage the kale for 3 minutes until the kale softens.
- Toss with the lemon juice and grated cheese and serve.
Use the softened kale as a salad base and top with any of your favourite salad ingredients. Will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.