Radicchio Bruschetta with Taleggio
This is a gorgeous starter or snack from Yotam Ottolenghi’s. Brie works well too.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon truffle oil, optional
- 1 radicchio, trimmed and quartered
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 100g taleggio, torn into small pieces
- 40g parmesan, grated
- 2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Put the honey and truffle oil in a small saucepan, warm through gently, just to combine, then take off the heat and set aside.
- Heat the grill to its highest setting.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil, blanch the radicchio for 30 seconds, drain and refresh under cold water. Drain again and pat as dry as possible, then mix with the olive oil, an eighth of a teaspoon salt and a good grind of pepper.
- Put the radicchio quarters on a 30cm x 40cm baking tray lined with baking paper, and lay the sourdough slices alongside. Grill in the middle of the oven for two minutes, until the bread and radicchio are golden-brown.
- Sprinkle a third of the taleggio and parmesan and half the thyme over the bread. Put a radicchio wedge on top of each slice of toast, dot the remaining cheese and thyme between the four helpings and on top of the leaves, and grill again for three minutes, until the cheese has melted and is starting to colour. Drizzle over the truffle honey and serve at once.
Mature brie can be used instead of taleggio