Rhubarb and Orange Fool
This is also known as Spring Fool. The rhubarb can be mixed with other fruit pulps such as apple, plum, gooseberry and raspberry.
- 450g rhubarb, cut into short lengths
- 1 grated orange rind
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2.5 cinnamon stick
- 25g unsalted butter
- 125g castor sugar
- 250ml double cream
- 1 tablespoon orange liquer, optional
- Put rhubarb in saucepan with orange rind, ginger, cinnamon, butter and sugar.
- Cook over a gentle heat, stirring till soft. Leave to simmer till most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and pass through a sieve. Leave to go cold.
- Whip the cream with the liquer, if using, till thick enough to hold its shape.
- Fold in the cold rhubarb pulp, lightly to give a marbled effect. Taste and add more sugar if necessary.
- Spoon into a glass bowl and chill till serving.