Roasted Beetroot and Beet Greens Salad
Roasted beetroot and beet green salad
- 1 bunch beetroot with green tops
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 handfuls of salad leaves, washed and torn
- 100g goat's cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 220 C.
- Wash and trim beets, leaving their skins on. Wash and reserve beet greens.
- Place beets on roasting tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper. Shake the tray so the beets get coated with oil and spices. Place in the preheated oven and roast for 45 minutes or until beets are fork tender.
- Take beets out of the oven, let them cool a bit, and peel skins off. Do not run under water as it will wash away a lot of flavor. Cut into quarters. Drizzle with good extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper. Toss and set aside.
- In a skillet, warm 1 tsp olive oil. Add beet greens and cook until wilted.
- To plate, put salad leaves down first, top with sauteed beet greens, spoon on top roasted beets with dressing, goat's cheese and pine nuts.