- 500g leftover roast lamb, shredded
- 75g pearl barley
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 small turnips, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks of celery, washed and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ savoy cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 L lamb stock or water
Soak the pearl barley in some water. In a large pan saute the onions, carrots, turnips and celery till tender. Add the drained and rinsed pearl barley and the potato, mix through, then add the stock or water and the thyme. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 mins till the barley is tender. Stir in the lamb and the cabbage and simmer for a further 15 mins. Sprinkled over the parsley and serve with crusty bread.
You can cook the lamb from scratch by either slow raosting for up to 3 hours or by adding to the sauteed veg and cooking in the water or stock till tender and then add the pearl barley and potato.