Soft Burger Buns
Soft bread enriched with egg, milk & butter.
- 225g strong white flour
- 125ml water warm
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon golden castor sugar
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 egg beaten
- Mix the warm water, yeast, warm milk and sugar in a bowl. Let it stand for 5 mins until it becomes frothy.
- Put the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, add the butter and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre of the buttery flour and add the warm yeast mixture and the egg.
- Use your hands to mix it into a sticky dough. Tip the dough out onto a floured work surface.
- Knead the dough for 10 mins by stretching it on the work surface, it will be sticky but don't add flour.
- The dough is ready when it feels soft and bouncy. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and set aside to rise for 1-3 hrs or until doubled in size.
- When the dough has doubled in size, knock the air out and knead again for 2 mins. The dough should be much less sticky now, but add a little flour if it needs it.
- Divide the dough into 4 - 6 even pieces. Roll into balls and arrange on lined baking tray. Loosely cover with oiled cling film and leave for about 1 hr or until doubled in size again.
- Heat oven to 180C and place a shallow baking tray at the bottom. Pour a cup of water into a baking tray to create steam
- Brush the buns with an egg wash and sprinkle with sesame or seeds of choice.
- Bake for 20 mins or until golden, then leave to cool on a wire rack.