Soul Food Collard Greens
These fresh collard greens are simmered away in a rich chicken broth infused with flavors from fresh onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and that smokey, salty turkey leg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large smoked turkey leg
- 32 oz collard greens, thoroughly washed and cut into strips
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce
- In a large deep skillet or pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add in onions and cook until tender.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, red pepper flakes and smoked turkey.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and boil lightly for about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove turkey leg and let cool.
- Remove meat from bone and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Return meat and skin back to the pot.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add collard greens to pot, pushing them down if needed.
- When greens begin to wilt down, cover and simmer for up to 60 minutes or until your desired texture is reached, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Plate the greens and pour on a few drops of hot sauce.
- Serve hot.