Sprout Tops with Bacon and Onion
Sprout tops with bacon and onion
- 750g sprout tops, stalks trimmed, washed and large leaves halved
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 50g butter
- 125g smoked or unsmoked streaky bacon, rind removed and cut into small cubes
- salt and pepper
- Gently cook the onion and bacon in the butter in a covered saucepan for 4 - 5 minutes, stirring every so often, until soft. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the sprout tops in boiling salted water for 4 - 5 minutes until tender.
- Drain, gently squeezing out any excess water.
- Toss the sprout tops with the onions and bacon.
- Season to taste.
Pairs well with cabbage as a jacket potato filling, with a bit of grated cheese on top.