Swede and Spring Onion Cornbread Muffins
A creation from the Swede Diaries of local chef Fatima Tarkleman (@foodventures_with_fatti). Enjoy these warm for breakfast, as a snack, or with a veggie chilli - DE-LISH!
200 g swede, peeled and grated
25 g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
16 green cardamom pods or 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
30 g unsalted butter
120 g plus 2 tbsp fine cornmeal (polenta)
180 g plain flour
40 g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
4 sliced spring onions
1 tsp paprika
350 g yogurt
100 g melted and cooled butter
60 g mature cheddar cheese
sprinkle of cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Combine in a small bowl, the grated swede and 25g sugar and 1/4tsp salt. Mix well.
2. Lightly toast the green cardamom pods in a dry frying pan until they just start to release their aroma. Lightly bash in a pestle and mortar, pick out and discard the green skins. Finely grind up the cardamom seeds. Add to the swede and mix well. If using ground cardamom, simply add to the swede and sugar mixture. Leave to mascerate for a few mintues and liquid begins to leave the swede.
3. Preheat the oven to 190c. Line a baking tray with foil/baking paper. Spread the swede and any juices over the tray. Bake for 15 mins, stirring once halfway. Leave to cool.
4. Use 30g of unsalted butter to grease a 12 cupcake tray. Sprinkle 2tbsp fine cornmeal into the cupcake tray, and lift, tap and rotate the tray to coat each well with cornmeal
5. Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl: in a large mixing bowl, whisk 120g fine cornmeal, 180g plain flour, 40g caster sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp baking powder, 4 sliced spring onions, and 1 level tsp paprika
6. Mix together the wet ingredients in another bowl: whisk together 350g yogurt, 2 eggs, 100g melted and cooled butter
7. Mix together the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and add the cooled swede (break it up a bit if it clumps together).
8. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake tray. It will be very full, give it a firm tap on the counter to level out the mixture.
9. Sprinkle each muffing with cheese on top. Add a sprinkle of cayenne, if desired.
10. Bake for 14-17mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of each muffin comes out clean