There is a long list of ingredients, but the dish itself is easy to cook.
- 250g basmati rice, rinced and soaked in cold water for 1 hour
- 125ml sunflower oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamon pods
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 150g peas
- 150g carrots, peeled and diced
- 250ml plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoon fresh corriander, chopped
- 250g tomatoes, skinned and chopped
Drain the rice and cook in lots of salted boiling water, till just done, still a bit hard.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat, add the onion and fry till golden brown.
Add the ginger and garlic, stir and fry for 2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, all the spices, the bay leaves and half a teaspoon of salt. Stir and fry for about 10 mins, till the tomato is breaking dow. Stir in the yogurt and cook for another 5 mins.
Add all the veg and 125 ml of water, stir, cover and cook for 5 to 10 mins till the veg is tender. Check seasoning.
Spread half the cooked rice over the bottom of a saucepan. Put the cooked veg on top, sprinkle over the chopped corriander, then spread the remaining rice on top.
Cover with a tight fitting lid, (add a layer of foil if the lid isn't tight), and cook on a very low heat for 30 mins. or place in a preheated oven, 160 degrees for 30 mins.