Winter Cabbage and Bean Soup
A filling winter soup recipe, using January King cabbage and beans.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200g January King cabbage, shredded
- 1 clove of garlic, thinly sliced
- 150ml dry white wine
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 400g can peeled plum tomatoes
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 400g cannellini beans or butter beans, drained
- 4 thick baguette slices
- 50g comte or mature cheddar, grated
- Heat oil over medium heat and add onion. Fry until softened (3-5 min)
- Add the cabbage and garlic. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and thyme. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans. Season and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Arrange the baguette slices on a baking tray and toast under a hot grill. Turn over and top untoasted side with cheese. Return to the grill for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Serve the soup in bowls with cheesy baguette on the side.